Spotlight Community Week May 29 and Beyond – Macomb Daily
Arts Guild meeting
• The Washington Township Art Guild will meet on June 6 at the Washington Township offices at 57900 Van Dyke Avenue. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for refreshments and socializing; business meeting at 7 p.m. Members Becky Smith and Joyce Kilpatrick will present the Starkweather Pottery Shed’s Empty Bowls program at Romeo. There will be a hands-on demonstration of shaping clay by hand into small bowls. After the meeting, the Guild will stop for the summer and resume in September.
Car Show and Fun Run/Walk
• Cruisin’ 53 Car Show at City Center Plaza at 10 a.m. and Van Dyke, Center Line from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 4. pm, register at cruisin53.com, car show registration is $30. Plus, the fun Run Warren/Centerline 5K run/walk is at 9 a.m. (registration starts at 8 a.m.) adults; $10,500 for students; $5 for the children’s race and the seniors’ walk. Presented by the Warren Community Foundation
• The Sterling Heights Lions Club is hosting the euchre tournament on June 10 at its club house, 12828 Canal Road, Sterling Heights. Doors open at 6 p.m.; the game starts at 7 p.m. The cost is $15 per person and includes pizza, soft drinks, snacks and a ticket for a free drink. Cash bar, cash prizes. For more information, call 586-786-6064.
• Shelby Farmers Market 9 am-2 pm May 14-Oct. 15 (no market July 2) at Packard Proving Grounds, 49965 Van Dyke Avenue, Shelby Township. More information at shelbyfarmersmarket.org.
Food distribution event
• Hope for the Hungry Food Pantry through St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Macomb will distribute food from 6-7 p.m. June 2 at 24125 26 Mile Road, Ray Township. It will be a drive-in event and those receiving food are asked to show their driver’s license or national ID card. You must park in a parking space in the west parking lot and wait to be checked in. Attendees may not pick up a family other than their own, unless arrangements have been made in advance. For more information, visit www.hopeforthehungrypantry.org.
• The Greater Washington Area Historical Society will hold its annual golf outing on June 16 at Greystone Country Club, 67500 Mound Road, Washington Township with registration and breakfast at 9:00 am. 10 a.m. departure of the shotgun; 4:30 p.m. dinner and prizes. Tickets are $125 each for golf and dinner or $40 each for dinner only. Registration is requested by May 20 by calling Sam Previti at 586-206-5185 or emailing [email protected]
• The MotoFest2022 annual motorcycle ride and festival will take place on June 4th. The theme is “Wellness Begins at Home” and will highlight the importance of resources and opportunities to bring financial and physical wellbeing to communities. It will begin with a coordinated 32-mile ride from Axemen Detroit Clubhouse and end at the Wolverine Harley Davidson dealership located at 44660 N Gratiot Avenue, Clinton Township. Guests will have the chance to explore community and county services and learn about educational opportunities for surrounding areas. Also featured will be food trucks, entertainment and drink stations. Tickets are $25 per rider; $15 per additional rider which includes ride and festival admission and $10 for festival goers. Tickets can be pre-purchased online at bit.ly/seedmotofest2022.
Octagon House Events
• Super Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on June 5. There will be a book sale in the dairy, the Octagardeners will have a variety of plants in their plant sale, and the Octagon House will be open for self-guided tours. Admission to the house is $5. Additional information is available by calling 586-781-0084 or visiting octagonhouse.org.
• Walk 4 Williams Walk to raise awareness of Williams Syndrome on June 4 at Jimmy Johns Field, 7171 Auburn Road, Utica. the event starts at 4 p.m.; march at 5 p.m. The event will also include face painting, speeches, food, a silent auction, a raffle and a ball game. The cost is $35 for ages 13 and up; $25 for ages 4 to 12; Free for children under 3 years. To register or for more information, visit williams-syndrome.org/event/southeast-michigan-walk4williams.
Widow Friends Events
• Lunch at 1:30 p.m. May 31 at Marcus Grill, 55690 VanDyke, Shelby Township. Limit 20. To reserve a spot, contact Gerry before May 26 at 586-556-9471.
• Men’s only breakfast at 9:30 am June 2 and 16 at the Lukich Family Restaurant, 3900 Rochester Road, Troy. Meet other widowed men for breakfast. For more information, call Ed at 586-731-8746.s on the golf course at 8:30 a.m. Thursday at Richmond Forest Golf Course, 33300 32 Mile Road, Lenox Township. No need to be a golfer to register, you just need to want to play. Departure time 9am and then meet for lunch at Ken’s Country Restaurant, 69232 North Main Street, Richmond. For more information, contact Chuck at 586-201-6607.
• Lunch at 1:30 p.m. June 6 at Shields Restaurant, 1476 West Maple, Troy. Limit 20 Reserve a spot before June 1 by contacting Sue at 586-549-1041.
• Lunch at 1.30pm on June 9 at the Simple Palate restaurant, 27380 Van Dyke. Limit 20 Reserve a spot before June 3 by contacting Gerry at 586-556-9471.
• Lunch at 1:30 pm on June 12 at the I Hop restaurant, 3132 Rochester Road, Troy. Limit 20 Reserve a spot by June 8 by contacting Joyce at 586-323-6007.
• Lunch at 1:30 pm on June 16 at Carrabas Italian Grill, 44695 Schoenherr Sterling Heights. Limit 20 Reserve a spot before June 10 by contacting Gerry at 586-556-9471.
• Movie Club on June 7 at the MJR Theater Chesterfield Crossing, 50675 Gratiot Ave, Chesterfield Township. Dinner early then to be determined. For more information, contact Marion at 586-703-1427.
• Dancing every Tuesday at the Polish Century Club, 33204 Maple Lane, Sterling Heights. Doors open at 6 p.m.; music from 7:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Cost is $8 per person with a cash bar. A table will be reserved for Widowed Friends. Contact Victoria at 586-566-7936.
Nonprofits and civic organizations that would like their events added to Community Spotlight should email event information to [email protected]
— Macomb Daily Staff